Saturday, November 10, 2007

I really hope someone saw this happen

This is further proof that I need someone to follow me video taping my everyday actions.

The last couple of days, we have started to get snow here in Trondheim, the kind that actually is staying on the ground. As much as I love snow and am ready for it to NOT be raining any more, I have also been fearing this day. If you don't remember, I happen to live up the side of a rather large, steep hill (see pictures below for my daily climb). I also have a limited selection of shoes, especially any that are ready to face winter. I blame this partially on living in Missouri for the last two years. I put on my only shoes that have a good chance of keeping my feet dry and headed out the door on the way to church last night. I was slipping and sliding a bit walking on level ground and began to embrace the fact that this trip down the hill could be very eventful.

As I neared the top of the hill, I let out a little gasp of joy when I realized that either someone had shoveled away a path on the hill going down or the melting snow from the trees had conveniently melted the snow there. I figured I was in the clear. I started down the hill with high expectations of a successful journey.

I was about 1/4 of the way down the hill when a large van began the ascent up the hill. I chuckled because of its eminent fate. It began to race up the hill, and when it got up to where I was on the hill, the tires began to slip and it stopped making forward progress. As I was walking past it, it too began to move backwards down the hill. At first I laughed to myself because we were at the same spot on the hill, and this driver was trying to desperately to make it up yet we were making the same progress down the hill. The van then proceeded to move backwards, exactly at the same pace as me, down the entire hill. The entire hill. It was actually quite funny and awkward. The faster I walked, the faster the van slipped.

We got to the bottom of the hill in unison and I paused, waiting for it to back into the street and get turned around. Apparently the van was content with just sitting there so I crossed the street. (I'm now going across the old bridge where the pictures of the building on the water were taken, see below). I started to cross the bridge and the van kept backing up with me, only now it was moving in reverse on level ground. Side note: this bridge can only be crossed by vehicles during certain times of the days otherwise there is a gate that drops down at the other end. This was not one of those times. I was hoping that the driver would realize that even if he successfully backed across the entire bridge, he would just have to sit there. About half way across the bridge the guy realized it and started to drive forward again.

I really hope that in one of the apartment building along this street, someone was sitting in there window saying, "Hey everyone! Come look at this. Wow, that must be awkward for that girl walking alongside the van."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Jess. So did you and the driver actually make eye contact during any of this adventure? I would think that it would have to be a bit strange.

jess said...

We did once we were on the bridge, right before he decided to drive forward. It was strange.

sarah :) said...

Hahaha! This is one of those stories you wonder if the other person (the driver) is telling to his friends too! ;)
Good job posting twice in one week, Jess! :D

śłużba wśród studentów said...

Great story! Where's "Candid Camera" when you need them?